יום שישי, ספטמבר 26, 2008

LimmudFSU at Ashkelon

Never thought registration for Limmudfsu conference will bring tears to my eyes.
There is a pure sense of excitement, of history in the making.

here is a log of few of my session I went to:
RAMCHAL: a few exerts from a play, with live note for the director, one of the actors is the excellent Amos Tamam – from srugim. The other is the great actor Ishay Meir. What I liked about the play is the hero of the play has the same name as its beautiful love lines and with my name. Finally.

Rabbi Malkior – Conversion, the third school stream – the way to build a shared space for the different sectors. So importanat to have him there. An orthodox rabbi, wearing black, carring a beard but yet is so understanding, open and pluralistic. the questions the soldiers asked were moving: if there is a way to celebrate Rosh Hashana at a JCC why cant we find a way to have a Jewish wedding not through the Rabbanut? I echo this question.

Media:
Natasha Moozogobia as a symbol.
Stereotypes, belonging, similarities.
Oleg a soldoer in the Israeli air force, a techy said : I lived here for 18 years. I speak in Hebrew, socialize in Hebrew, but I care about Russian culture” What is the future of the Russian media in Israel? Can Russian speaking, or Russian- accent – holders journalists break the glass ceiling and break into the Israeli media?


Its fascinating to meet 18 and 19 years old soldiers born in Israel, going through the conversion course Nativ The question of Belonging, Language, Acceptance and Ownership is in the air.


Panel on Jewish Philanthropy
Matthew Bronfman is good looking, alequaint and looks 10 years younger than his age, or myself. And has a good sense of humor. I must admit I am not as anti Ikea as I used to be.

Oh. My money makes me feel good.

Few references to Achmanijad`s speech.


What I will improve:
Signage
Refreshments
Classes nearer to the lobby, or vice versa
Having all those soldiers around doesn’t necessarily help to create that Limmud atmosphere. it becomes a day-off from the army, not a Jewish learning festival. Mainly because they are told they must fill classrooms when there is a VIP lecture, An announcement was made telling all the activists aka volunteers to come to that classroom. How embarrassing.


In total: amazing, exciting and refreshing. seeing so many ex-russian arguing in Hebrew about thier identity, culture anf Judaism. I hope this will create a great buzz opening the door to more Limmud events in Israel.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה