יום ראשון, ינואר 07, 2007

About Writing

on the way back from Limmud, I met Gil and Arik - two of the Israeli presenters we brought over. Gil is a foodie who published few (excellent) cookbooks, and Arik published a novel and he is a literature critic in two leading Israeli newspapers. So chatted about the conference, about how great it was, we discussed how it can work in Israel, and the, Gil asked:
As the three of us write, what do we think is the one thing an author must do?
I answered too quickly and said: to avoid self pity. Arik said - Always think about the reader and Gil said - Chuck out all the banal adjectives.

It got myself thinking about what I do when I write, what is this urging need to write. Is it good, bad. does it come from humble place or egocentric needs.
I a, still thinking.
What do you think?
What is the place we write from?

תגובה 1:

  1. writing is a passion, at times the passion becomes a proffesion and then one should be aware of all of what the three of you said. when i have the urge to write, there is no worng or write there is a need for expression, for reflection for what my soul, mind, heart budy is expereinsing when i write. its an oprtunitiy to bring people into my life, its a way to release tension, its a hoby

    השבמחק