יום ראשון, דצמבר 31, 2006

New Year`s Party - what`s the point???

In my social circles in Israel no one will ever dream to go to a New Years Party. It is something only secular people, with a very big S will do , not nice ex Bnei -Akiva girls like us.
Here in London though, even me - quite a geek you must admit, found myself sort of invited to 3 parties/dinner parties.

Most of all I don't get the point of celebrating this - and its nothing to do with the Pope Sylvester, that in Israel the evening is names after him. Its very ironic as many pogroms and killings of Jewish people across Europe were due to him.
The thing is, I cannot find what to celebrate.
Rosh Hashana allows me to reflect upon the good things, things I might consider improving, making new resolutions(and breaking them by Yom Kippur), with a lot of compassion, with different rituals that help you to feel you belong to a community that understands you, and understands the human situation you are in. We all regret our sins together, we all commit to improve our ways, together.

I find this new year quite irritating for few reasons:
1. I will have to remember its 2007 when I write my checks. PG by May it will be a habit.
2. Another reminder that I am not getting any younger.
3. New budget year.

I might go to a party tonight, to catch up with some people I didn't have the time till tonight. But still, there is some thing very lonely about the Christian new year for a Jew abroad I feel. Its not really a new year, all the new year`s resolution were just set up 3-4 months ago. Everyone else seems quite marry and drunk to be honest, so what should a good Jew do?
Hah??

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה