יום שישי, ספטמבר 08, 2006

I went shopping yesterday, in one of those fake villages in New Jersey, shopping was great found 4 lovely tops,3 shrugs, 4 pair of shoes 4 new skirts a fab hat and a matching scarf, but that`s not the point.
I suddenly discovered that my size had changed. Which I noticed in the UK already thanks to Fat Fighter lately I wear size 16 which is nice, but in many shops here I am 14, which is not realistic. Instead of Large for a shirt I am a Medium here, which is slightly strange, you have to admit.
Have I shrank during the flight from the UK? Did the severe security measures or the body search wiped off plenty of inches off my waist? Are sizes that different this side of the Atlantic? The surprising answer my friends is NO!
What really happens said my dear friend E (A Marketing Manager by profession) is that all those companies have decided to degrade the sizes, so women will feel petite and stylish. So if you are a size 12 you will discover you are 10, and all this wonderful good news will make you be happier, feel more confident and competent, feel you deserve more from life and as a immediate result: shop more.
This school of thought brought to the world the three new sizes (remember that once upon a time the smallest size here was 2) 00, 0 and 1. We are not talking math here, we are talking fashion and dress sizes ans self esteem.
And this makes me angry, thinking about those cute chubby girls dreaming to be size X small, failing to achieve this unrealistic and unhealthy aim, and feel they are a failure.

I don't feel chuffed at all from reaching (faked) size 14, I feel used.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה