יום רביעי, אוגוסט 30, 2006

The weekly Poem -Agi Mishol

LITTLE PRAYER FOR SUNDAY*


Give me a break from flashing cops,
the HMO and the temples of social security,
from bookkeepers, the keepers of jargon,
and temp agency secretaries with helmet-like hair.

They’re been shooting here all morning;
the partridge hunters and the dogcatcher
roam my countryside.
Newspapers --
filled with black-fisted Orthodox men,
and high-strung poetry critics,
and openmouthed bulldozers --
fall like leaves upon my house.

Why is it such a big deal to yield
to a woman like me
who lets others cut her off on the roads.

I who lay me down to sleep with the hens
at the foot of the well-lit shopping malls --
Hear my prayer.

Please don’t add me to the culture package today.

I who am not exempt from anything --
Grant me permission
for one day off
from the army.


* Israel has a six-day work week. Sunday is a regular work day.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה